Wednesday

Q&A: All about misting...




Back in May, I asked if you had any burning craft-related questions. I'm slowly working on my responses....you asked some tough questions. *winks* Here's the first question...by Julie Tucker-Wolek.



I use a variety of mediums to create the "misted" look on my layouts, depending on how much "control" I want. Here are some of the mediums I like to use...:)



1. Bottled mists from Maya Road, Tattered Angels and Mister Huey.

These are the 3 brands I use because I can get them locally from my LSS. 

Maya Road is my fave go-to mist bottle brand. The colours are rich and vibrant and a little goes a long way. 

Mister Huey has a lovely colour range but it's more pricey for me because I tend to use a little more of it.

I only use Tattered Angels when I want a subtle effect. They have more shimmer in them and take a little longer to dry. They work better if you apply thin coats and wait for each coat to dry before adding more colour. 


This look was achieved using Maya mists and an Artistcellar stencil.



2. Faber Castell Gelatos.

These can be used as both a dry medium [apply a little and rub with finger] and as a wet medium [mash it up into a paste and add water to a mist bottle]. Add more colour for a vibrant look OR more water for a muted finish. It is a super versatile medium and comes in very pretty colours. The coolest thing about this medium is that it can be used on a variety of surfaces including wood. Plus it works well with the other mediums in the Faber Castell mixed media family.



Wood-album-main-cover
Gang wood album


The base colours of this wood album were coloured with gelatos and water. No need for a layer of gesso! What a time-saver!




3. Ranger Distress Stains.


The colours are light and great for creating soft washes of colours over large areas. The key really is to add the secret ingredient - Ranger Distress Stain in Picket Fence. This particular stain is a white opaque formulation...[like adding milk to tea] that gives a little more "life" to the rest of the Ranger Distress Stain family. And when you mist water to blend the colours...that's when the real magic happens...you get really cool mottled effects. 

The effect on the canvas was created with wrapping tissue and Ranger Distress Stains.



4. Derwent Intense Blocks/Pencils.



The colours are super vibrant because they are ink-based. Colour your surface, then mist with water and let it drip. Not enough colour? Just add more. You can work it when it's wet OR dry. For more precision, use the pencils instead of the blocks.

Art-journal-page
Journal page


The background of this journal page was created with Derwent Inktense Blocks and blended with water.



5. Daler-Rowney Liquid Acrylics/inks

I love these because the rich pigments  in them make the colours very vibrant even though they are very fluid. The pearlescent ones are shimmering bottles of goodness. Drip a few colours over raised surfaces [created with masks and fiber paste] and watch the colours blend...mist some water...you never know what you get..:)



Cupcake-mixed-media-tag
Cupcake tag

The background on this tag was created with a stencil, fiber paste and Daler-Rowney Pearlescent Inks.



6. Daler-Rowney watercolours

These are very light and great for creating subtle backgrounds especially if you are playing with pastel colours. Probably the easiest medium to control with a brush and water. the soft effects are very pretty. For best effect, blend your colours before applying them to paper.




The background was created using an Artistcellar stencil and Daler-Rowney watercolours.



7. Caran d'Ache Neocolor II Artists' Crayons


My latest "toy"...*winks* I love the soft look when I mist water on the coloured areas.  It's easy to colour with it because it is softer than a pencil but harder than a pastel so there is a certain degree of control. It is awesome for building layers on mixed media projects. :)


A-moment-in-time
A moment in time


The background of this layout was created with the negative print of a stencil, Neocolor II and misted water.

I like to do a few backgrounds at a time because I don't like to waste mists or have to take out my "misting" box..*winks* so probably a couple of minutes for each background. It doesn't need to be precise. 
People choose patterned papers to work with when they start a project....I choose from my ready-made custom backgrounds! *LOL* 

There are really many ways to create interesting backgrounds using bottled mists or mediums misted with water. My suggestion is to buy a few colours in each medium to try out...see what you like. There is no need to buy ALL the colours. I tend to buy complementary colours so that I mix the mediums to achieve different effects.

Has this been helpful?


Share/Bookmark

Pin It

21 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi Yvonne, I loved reading your post, a nice glimpse into your process :) It is fun to learn what others use! Each of your projects are just GORGEOUS!!!

Maggi said...

Very interesting! Loved the Distress Stain Picket Fence tip! :D

Hussena said...

Oh yes yes ..this is very helpful and Thank you so much for sharing in such detail about how you have created each of the BG and the product used for them .. I wish though that I had know about the picket fence stain before and hoe useful it is ..would have definitely ordered it along with my other stains !!but never mind there's always a next time :)

Tanvi said...

Thanks for this detailed info!!

Unknown said...

Very useful post.I am a fan of mists,thought I don't own too many and do not do well with them.You make fabulous backgrounds.Loved the way you showed samples for each product.Very helpful.

paperpapier said...

very informative indeed, thanks for sharing so much of your knowledge!
Heaney xx

Anonymous said...

Awesome info here! So much go into creating just one background, love it!

SD pooja said...

Oh..So many options for misting !

Jessi Fogan said...

Amazingly helpful - love the tip about doing LAYERS with Tattered Angels, since I tend to splat & then end up with warped super wet paper. And water...water is an amazingly fun thing to mix in. Love it, Yvonne!

Shahrul Niza said...

I know you're up to something delicious!!. I LOVE all these mediums and now, I'm really intrigued to try the inktense pencils!. They look so vibrant :). Great post today, Yvonne!

Julie Tucker-Wolek said...

Thanks for answering my friend!! I appreciate it!! I only use Mr. Huey's as they dry fast ... but I will need to check into these other ones!!!

Unknown said...

What an awesome post!!!my fave is the way you used the stains in the canvas totally drooling over that piece!!!!♥

Cindy deRosier said...

Yes, very interesting and informative!

Chantalle said...

Great post! Thanks for sharing your tips

Ella Swan said...

Yes thank you - a great read. I agree on the mists - MR is my go to as well and TA far more subtle and shimmery. I do like Mr. Huey's for an in between effect. Would really say you need all 3 depending on the look you want. Also have some Shimmerz & LSG - also different & specific.

Lisa said...

Gorgeous projects, awesome tips!! Thanks so much for sharing!! Have a great day :)

Lisa
A Mermaid's Crafts

Isha Gupta said...

Thanks for all this precious information Yvonne. You make it sound so easy :) I sure will give it a try.

Kirsty Vittetoe said...

Awesome, I love the watercolor effect of the caran crayons, hmmm... might save money for THAT next! : )

ANUPAMA CHOUDARY said...

Great post! Waiting for you to get to my million-dollar question I have asked in the same forum :)))

Audrey Pettit said...

Wow, helpful indeed, and so insightful! I figured you had a lot of mediums, but this is even more than I imagined. Thanks for sharing all your tips and tricks, Yvonne! :)

Chantal Vandenberg said...

Thanks for sharing!!! :D

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting my blog and taking time to leave a comment. I really appreciate it. Have an awesome day!:)

Cheers, Yvonne.

>
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

LinkWithin

Pin It