Tuesday

Learn how to make multi-loop bows with Emily Keaton! :)





My guest today is the fabulous Emily Keaton of My Litte Slice of Bliss. I "met" her when she participated in one of my guest blogger challenges. Emily's style is a mix of classy & elegant and simple & sweet. I love how she mixes and matches different textures and creates interest on her cards without bulk for easy mailing. Her stamping skills are impeccable and I love visiting her blog to look at wonderful creations. Today she shares her secret for making multi-loop bows and is hosting a challenge with a cool prize for a random participant. :)

But let's have a look at her gallery featuring those multi-loop bows...




Hi! I’m Emily, and I live north of Boston, Massachusetts, USA, with my husband and our 13 year-old daughter and 9 year-old son. I’m a freelance writer and editor for math textbooks, which is great for our family because it means I can work from home and always be there when my family is. It also gives me the flexibility (like when everyone else is commuting or when I’m between long-term freelance projects) to indulge in some of the things that make me happy, chief among them being playing with paper. I just love—and need—to create! I share my latest creations and tips on my blog, My Little Slice of Bliss, and I’m currently designing for DeNami Design Rubber Stamps. I’m so excited to be a guest blogger here on Do More With Less—thank you so much for inviting me, Yvonne!

TUTORIAL:

I love to mail the cards that I make to family and friends, so it’s important to me to always have a selection of mail-able (read: “flat!”) cards in my stash! That’s why I keep hemp twine, baker’s twine, string, embroidery floss, and crochet thread nearby when I create so I can add fiber accents that are relatively flat and friendly for mailing. A few months ago I started making multi-loop bows from twine to accent my cards, and visitors to my blog asked how I did it. It’s really pretty simple, so I thought that today I’d show you how to do it, too.

I make my multi-loop bows with my Bow Easy. Don’t have a Bow Easy? Then you can easily make a stand-in rig from chipboard using these measurements. (Just know that your finished bow won’t slide off the rig as smoothly as the real thing, so be prepared and don’t tighten your bow too tightly while it’s on the rig.)


Ready? Let’s get started.

1.  Begin by laying the twine across the top of the rig and holding it down on the left with your thumb.



2.  Now wrap the free end of the twine around the fingers of the Bow Easy a total of three times.





(For a pouffier, loopier bow, wrap the twine around the fingers additional times.)

3.  Next, lay the twine over top of all three wraps and thread the end down through the space between the fingers, forming a loose loop on top. Don’t pull tight.




4.  Now bring the end of the twine around to the front and up between the fingers.
   

5.  Pass the end of the twine through the loop you just created, and pull the end gently to shrink the loop slightly.

   
6.  Eventually this loop will be pulled tight, but at this point you can add a length of twine for tying the bow around your card. (For the sake of visibility, I’m showing the length of twine as solid black in this step. Just slip it through the untightened loop.)

      

7.  Now you are ready to tighten the loop (notice that I’ve now replaced the black twine with twine that matches my project).

    

8.  Slip the bow off the Bow Easy.

      

9.  Currently, the bow is face down. Turn the bow around to face up and fluff the loops. Attach to a project as desired.
      
CHALLENGE:

I hope that you’ll try making your own multi-loop bows from twine, string, or embroidery floss! I’m offering this collection of six clear stamp sets (2.5” x 2.5” each) from We R Memory Keepers and a baker’s twine sampler from DeNami Design to one randomly drawn participant!




Ready to play along? Please post a direct link to your newly created project featuring the multi-loop bow via Inlinkz [located at the end of the post] by Friday 23 March, 11.59pm (GMT+8).

As always, please leave a little love for my guest Emily.


Share/Bookmark

Pin It

28 comments:

Erin (Homemade Cards by Erin) said...

Woo hooo Emily... Okay, off to make a homemade bow-easy and play along :)

papertrails leaver said...

Very cool! Thanks for the tut and definitely goung to work in a bow!

Julie Tucker-Wolek said...

Very cool how you made that bow!! I loveeeeeee your work!

Michelle Hernandez said...

I have that bow easy but it hasn't been easy for me AT ALL! LOL! Thank you for sharing the photo tutorial- I will try this tonight as it's a skill I constantly wish I had.
LOVELY card design too!

Cindy deRosier said...

Very cool! I am TERRIBLE at making bows. HORRIBLE. You've made this look very easy.

Alice said...

thanks for the tutorial on the bow, Emily! love your card!

Hussena said...

wow this tutorial is simply fab!!! thank you so much for sharing...i am a follower of Emily's blog and love her cards they are simply amazing!!!i love the way she shares simple tips and tricks of card making too.

Jessi Fogan said...

Emily's the best :) Love the tip for adding a piece to tie around the card - that's just brilliant!

Pam said...

Love it Emily!! So easy, yet gives an extra special look to your project!!

Audrey Pettit said...

Loving the loopy bows! TFS!

Ella Swan said...

Wow that is a very cool idea and I envisage a lot of card makers entering this challenge!!

~amy~ said...

Yahoooo for emily...big fan of hers!!!!

Annette Allen said...

fun tutorial...Emily's cards are so amazing and fun...thanks for sharing her...

Maggi said...

Very cute bows! Awesome tutorial!

Angi Barrs said...

Fabulous! I need to give this a try.

Auntie Em said...

Great tutorial Emily! Thanks for sharing these easy to follow steps. :)

scrapsnsuch@gmail.com said...

Fresh and fun cards!
You made the bow look so easy! I actually own one of those white bow things and have only used it a handful of times. What a great idea to put the twine for tying around the card thru before finishing it off.
Thanks for the idea and congrats on being a guest :>)

Emily Leiphart said...

Congrats to Emily on being a guest here! I love this tutorial. She makes it look so easy. I will definitely have to try this!

Emily Keaton said...

Yvonne, thank you SO MUCH for having me here as your guest today!! I'm thrilled that my tutorial seems to be so well received. You are such a doll to give me this opportunity :D. I can't wait to see everyone's loopy bows!!!

Colleen Dietrich said...

I'll be playing, too, Emily! Congrats on being a guest with Yvonne today. You rock, my friend!

Rose said...

woot woot Emily!!

ok now i will be dusting off my bow easy as i see step 6 solves the problem i always had!! THANKS :)

your cards and bows are awesome!!!

Shelly Schmidt said...

Awesome card and tutorial Emily! I have to look that up every time I use the bow easy!!! Awesome inspiration my dear....!!!

Unknown said...

Great CAS card Emily! Love the tutorial! Will see if I have time to try that bow! ;o)

Virginia L. said...

Thanks so much for the tutorial! Love Emily's card!!

Emily (stampingout on SCS) said...

Emily is such a sweetie so I had to come play along. I make my loopy bows differently then she does, but I think it will still count! :)

Debbie Carriere said...

Very cool, Emily!! The bow easy I dont't have, but I am hoping to fashion my own and play along! Thanks for the easy to follow pictures :)

Lisa Petrella said...

AWESOME tutorial, Emily!!! Thanks for the inspiration!!! Can't wait to give this a try!!!

Erum Tasneem said...

hey Y, can i add my older card to this challenge? posted after this challenge of course.

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting my blog and taking time to leave a comment. I really appreciate it. Have an awesome day!:)

Cheers, Yvonne.

>
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

LinkWithin

Pin It